Sunday 6 April 2008

Early April Additions

I've updated the links list. Highlights include 'Formicary' and 'SuperOrganism'.

Formicary is 'an aggregator for ant and other hymenopteran blogs', which basically means that it collects new additions to English ant blogs. At the moment, I do much the same using NewsFox, but this should pick up on things that I would otherwise miss. Currently it's at a temporary location, but I think it's a great idea, so hopefully it will gain permanent status.

SuperOrganism has been set up to be a more professional/academic version of The Ant Farm and Myrmecology Forum. We'll see how long it lasts.

On much the same subject, it appears as though Notes from Underground may go under because of lack of input. One wonders if this can't last, how much chance is there of SuperOrganism having a long run? Perhaps I'm being cynical: I do think that there is a need for something like this, I'm just not sure what format would be best for the target audience.

Finally, I got up unusually early (for a Sunday) and was surprised to see this out of my kitchen window.

I've seen Sparrowhawks in the centre of Thornbury before and couldn't see any jesses on this one, so I assume it was wild. I watched it for about five minutes, until someone wandered past with their dog and unwittingly disturbed it.

No comments: